Saturday 14 April 2007

Money, Money, Money

Now that I have a pattern worked out the big problem is actually time.

I know that to run a business properly it will take quite a bit of time and I am a Mum first, with a baby who isn't the best sleeper in the world. I'm not willing to go into anything if I can't run it professionally, although these may go down as famous last words!

The will I/won't I was really stressing me, because I am enjoying the sewing but don't know if I can lift it to the next level. Do I branch out into clothes for my baby and myself and keep it as a hobby? How many nappies can I actually sew in a week? I know that doing it as a production line will be a lot more efficient than doing one at a time - less swapping around, but until I actually have a go I won't know what it is like. But to do that I need lots more fabric. I live in the middle of nowhere so that means ordering it, and the stuff I want is going to take four months to get here. How do I know what it will be like in 4 months time? How will she be sleeping? Will I still be enjoying this?

I told my husband I was going to leave it and see if I was still enjoying it 6 months down the track.

But then I saw that some of the fabric was on special really cheap. And it will take 4 months to get here, .... Damn, there I go again, will I or won't I?

DH was great.
"If you get the fabric and then decide not to do it, is there something else you can do with it?" "Well, I'm sure there are other nappy sewers who would buy it - it is a pain getting everything from Canada."
"So get it."
"I checked, it will cost $1000."
"We have that in the rainy day account, get it."
So I ummed and ahhed for a few more days, but eventually got it. Wow, I have spent $1000 on fabric, but I know roughly how many nappies I have to sell to get that back, so I am keeping the panic at bay. Now I am trying to get everything else organised so when it arrives it is all set bar the sewing.

Oh yes, the bamboo. It also costs $1000 for just one of the types I want. And the shop that sells both types isn't replying to emails. As an aside, I find that unbelievable - here is someone willing to spend well over $1000 with you and you don't even reply to their emails! And a big order is easier to deal with than lots of little orders, this is exactly what worries me about being a WAHM. It is obviously difficult to juggle everything, there is sooooo much more to it than a nice nappy pattern. Anyway, long trip in the car with DH.
"So why do you need to import it? I thought you wanted to support other WAHMs."
"No-one is selling it here at the moment, there are some places trying to get it in but they don't know when and how much. One of them has had to put it back because of suppliers. If I know these guys have it I keep thinking I should get it because who knows how long it will take to get here."
"So if it is hard to get hold of do other people want it?"
"Yeah, it is just the yummiest fabric."
"Well get the whole bolt and sell it as well."
"But it will cost over $1000."
"We have the money, get it."

OMG, I have over $2000 of fabric on order! Don't panic, don't panic, don't panic, ...

No comments: