Tuesday 3 April 2007

In the beginning ...

Mum lent me her old sewing machine and off I went. Actually, it belonged to my mother's brother's wife's mother by way of my Grandmother, so it is experienced.
With a funny shaped baby snappis were the obvious solution because they pull up the rise as well as around, but I didn't want boring terry nappies if I was going to all the trouble of making them. So why not put terry tabs on? Ummmm, because they WICK!!!!! So several versions later we had dealt with that problem, created some more, dealt with them, added something else, dealt with those problems, and got something I was happy with. Along the way I learnt to blind sew elastic, sew stretch fabric, sew PUL and ProCare, and WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. Patterns also work much better if you mark everything so it all lines up.

Then I ran out of fabric.

Then we went on holidays for Christmas and 3 days later found out hubby had a promotion which meant moving to another town.
But over Christmas Mum gave me her overlocker, and when we got to our new house all my parcels of international fabric had found us, so I had a great incentive to unpack quickly. In fact, I splashed out and got myself a snap press for my birthday (No, hubby got it, hubby!) and my paints also arrived so here is my beautiful craft area. This is the first time I have had more than a cupboard to store things in, and it is so much fun to have everything set up and waiting any time I want to use it.



"Paints?" You say, "What paints?"
Well I really liked the painting my mother was doing for her quilting fabrics, so I decided to use them on terry flats and wipes, and think big. Hey, if I can add a bamboo range, ...

No comments: