Saturday 30 August 2008

WAHMs, professionals and dressmakers

A bit of a philosophical ramble inspired by two things I read this week. I've been writing it for a few days, finally got to finish it!


The first was an article saying that women shouldn't call themselves WAHMs if they want to be taken seriously, unless it is an important part of what they do. To explain a bit better if you are a writer, or a computer tech, or a florist, who happens to work at home and have kids, then you shoud call yourself a writer, a computer tech or a florist. I agree completely.


I have still made the decision to label myself a WAHM because it is a selling point in what I do. Who wants to buy nappies designed by someone who isn't a mother? But normally from the customer's point of view there are some disadvantages:

  • Your order taking longer because someone got chicken pox.
  • Possible sticky fingers.
  • Being down the priority list.
  • Being lost because work is being done in 10 minutes here and there.

These are problems every WAHM has to decide on, and each one will put the balance between work and family where it suits them, which is not necessarily the place the customer wants it. Personally I try to avoid most of these problems by offering mostly in stock items, not customs. I've been burnt as a customer myself having to wait weeks for orders, so that one is important to me. I do have a sticky finger problem, because Widget adores anything to do with sewing or photography and will make off with anything not nailed down. So the occasional nappy which is accidentally left within reach has to be checked very carefully. And I do occasionally forget an email, but I have a system for them and hopefully I'm catching them.

The second comment was said by a customer to a dressmaker. After ordering a custom fitted and designed dress for her daughter she complained about the price, saying "You're not a professional, you're just a dressmaker."

As someone who would one day love to own ANYTHING custom made I was shocked. How can something that is unique, something that fits perfectly and was designed to enhance one person's features possibly be not as good as something mass produced?

Obviously quality comes into it. This is the bit I worry about myself, because I'm NOT a sewer from way back. When I'm sewing 4 layers of knit fabrics together the hemp terry has a tendency to stretch, and I just can't convince myself that the snappi tab being uneven at the end is that important. I'd like it to be straight, and I have recently thought of a possible solution to that particular problem, but it's not going to stop me selling the nappy. If others disagree that could be a problem for me.

So what makes a professional? I've been musing on it, this list isn't exhaustive but applies more to me.

  • Time. There are two aspects to this

- Time to do a job uninterrupted, whether that be sewing or answering emails or uploading new stock. Because interruptions DO affect quality.

- Time to do enough that you are a serious seller. There is nothing more annoying than a shop with only 2 products and a heap of sold out signs (actually there are lots of things more annoying, but you get the idea). They may be beautiful, but it's a hobby rather than a business.

  • Quality.

For me nappies are a practical item. They have a job to do, so they have to be of a quality to stand up to it. So seams that are dodgy, fabrics that wear quickly, or snaps that won't do up properly are out. It may sound obvious, but surprisingly I have bought a few of these and it's not the sort of thing you can tell until you use them. I really should let the seller know, I'd like to know if there is that sort of problem, but somehow I've never got to it.

The next step up is having all the snaps lined up and tabs exactly even. Something I definitely aim for but worry I don't get, but it wouldn't put me personally off a nappy if it still works. It also depends on the nappy and my "problem." If I just need a fitted nappy and it doesn't have to be pretty or have a particular closure then I'll be picky. If I need something unique I'll be more forgiving. I'm also forgiving of things I have difficulty with.

Then there are other things that I think are more likes and dislikes rather than quality and have to be looked at with an open mind. For example I really like topstitching, I think it finishes the nappy beautifully. However it's not possible with my design or it would put holes in the pocket! Same with overlocked nappies - some people love the frilly look, to me it just looks unfinished.

  • Service.

This one is linked to time, because it's the time to answer emails and queries, have products ready, pack them nicely, answer queries, and do follow-up.

So am I professional?

My answer would have to be no. I aspire to it and I would like to be, but there are lots of things going against me. To get more time I would have to put my kids in care, and that's not going to happen. To get better quality I would need more time and practice. And I would have to expand the business so it's worth it to put in that time, effort and resources. And to expand I would have to look at advertising, working with other people and getting that side-snap design up and running!

On the other hand, I've always been realistic that I won't be doing this long term. It's something I enjoy and am passionate about while my kids are young, but it's also a place to learn and make my mistakes and plans before I move into the business I really want to be in.

No comments: